I have recently sat down to try and catch up on all the great new albums that have been released in the last few weeks. I would like to review a few for you, and we will start today with of course one of my favs, Josh Turner. He just released his eighth studio album, Country State of Mind.
If you love the traditional country sound this is the album for you. He teams up with some of his peers and heroes for some amazing covers.
I love Josh Turner’s “Mount Rushmore Of Country Music” that he has been referring to on social media as being the biggest influence on his career and he uses the 12 songs on this album to pay tribute. The five artists he puts on the mount are Randy Travis, John Anderson, Johnny Cash, Vern Gosdin, and Hank Williams.
Every song on this album is amazing and his tribute is so well done. It took me back in time to sit and listen to this. My personal favorites were I’m No Stranger ToThe Rain, Forever and Ever Amen (which was Randy Travis’ first recording after his stroke), and The Caretaker. Some of the songs seemed to have been written for Josh’s voice, even though I knew they were covers, they felt brand new. I give it five out of five stars!
The album is available now for purchase or download.
Country State of Mind Track Listing
- “I’m No Stranger To The Rain”
2. “I’ve Got It Made” (Duet with John Anderson)
3. “Why Me” (Duet with Kris Kristofferson)
4. “Country State Of Mind” (Duet with Chris Janson)
5. “I Can Tell By The Way You Dance”
6. “Alone And Forsaken” (Featuring Allison Moorer)
7. “Forever And Ever, Amen” (With Special Guest Randy Travis)
8. “Midnight In Montgomery”
9. “Good Ol’ Boys”
10. “You Don’t Seem To Miss Me” (Featuring Runaway June)
11. “Desperately” (Featuring Maddie & Tae)
12. “The Caretaker”